Saturday 9 March 2013

ready, break.


Can you hear that? It's the sound of anticipation. Of long awaited solace. Of sleeping in.

March Break!

I remember when I was in elementary school (sometimes way too clearly) and it felt like the break was over two weeks long. When I went back to school afterwards, I always felt like I'd been away for ages. Basically because I'd forgotten everything.

I've been looking forward to this break for a long while now. I'm aware that it's a perk of my job, but what many people fail to recognize is that we work so. hard. This job asks for your soul, for every ounce of energy and passion, and then asks for more.


I'm not complaining. I love my job. I love that I get to see excited little faces every day. I love that I get to hear amazing and hilarious comments on the regular. I love that I get to see those rare "Aha! I get it!" moments.

But you know, when you put so much into work every day you lose the energy for other things. It's been ages since I've painted. I fall asleep on the couch at 8:30 or 9 o'clock (sorry honey). I let my own passions slide.

I think when you're a teacher, you learn early on that life isn't just about you. I hear this a lot from friends with kids. When I comment on the fact that it's insane that someone hasn't slept for more than 2 or 3 hours a night for a week because their kid is sick, the reply is often "You don't really choose. You just do it."

I've always wanted to impart big ideas to my kids. I want them to feel like they can do anything. Sometimes I forget that the best way to do that is to take my own advice.

My March Break buddy. In the bathtub, of course. :)
Here's my super-rad March Break list of awesomeness:
- play the ukulele.
- meet with friends. have wine. in the afternoon.
- paint.
- sleep in!
- drink a full cup of coffee.
- run!
- take a walk to nowhere.
- make a stop motion movie.
- read. books.

This is a short and boring list and it makes me soooo happy.

Yea breaks!

<3 S


No comments:

Post a Comment